In 1938 building operations were commenced for the relocation of the Grammar School for boys and girls to the current Helsby High school site.
The school was originally designed for girls and boys to be taught separately in the boys Grammar School and the girls Grammar School. There were duplicate specialist teachers, administrators and Headmaster at the boys’ school and a Headmistress at the girls’ school. A cinder path divided the exterior and a wall divided the interior school and rules were in place to ensure that each group stayed strictly within their boundaries.
Over the years the school became a mixed comprehensive and the building was added to and developed to meet the needs of all our students. We are proud to retain our original buildings, our philosophy is to ensure the additions to our existing buildings can be seen clearly. This mix of new and old architecture helps to tell the story of our developing school. Our school has changed considerably over time but our history can still be seen, this helps us remember those who have taught and learnt before us and reminds us to feel proud of our heritage.